Even though tooth enamel is the hardest tissue in your body, it is still subject to damage from wear, stress, and injury. If you notice that there are fractures in your teeth which cause pain and sensitivity, then come to Root Canal Specialists, PC for cracked teeth treatment. Dr. McInerney provides root canal treatment and other services that can bind the fractures in your smile and repair any damage they caused. Contact our endodontist if you think you need to receive treatment for a cracked tooth in Bingham Farms, Michigan.One of the first things our endodontist will do is determine the types of cracks in your teeth and the best ways to treat them. Some common cracks include:
- Craze Lines: These tiny cracks only affect the outer enamel tissue and the appearance of your tooth. They cause no harm to your dental health.
- Fractured Cusp: The cusp is the pointed part of a tooth, and if it becomes weak, then it can develop painful fractures. We repair this problem by removing the cusp and then restoring tooth structure with a dental crown.
- Cracked Tooth: These cracks start in the chewing surface of the tooth and extend down towards the root. The tooth pulp will usually be damaged, so a root canal procedure is often recommended. The crown placed after treatment binds and protects the crack. However, if the fracture extends under the gum line, then extraction may be required.
- Split Tooth: If a cracked tooth is not treated, then it may separate into segments. The complete tooth cannot be saved, though we may be able to save portions of it through a root canal procedure.
- Vertical Root Fractures: These cracks begin in the root and they are usually not detected until the tissues surrounding the tooth become infected. Often the only treatment solution is extraction.
Please call our team if you are interested in learning more about how we can treat cracked teeth.